Portfolio Contact Blog Shop
dave@davebain.com

7 October 2014

Supersmash collaboration



I've had my head down for the best part of the Summer working on a few things that I can hopefully shout about later this year. In the meantime, here's a quick project I enjoyed collaborating on with studio buddy and quality graphic designer, Dan Hayman, back in July.

When I'm not in my studio, you can often find me digging for records and sometimes even playing them in some of Bristol's bars and clubs. In July, myself and a few friends were invited to put on a night at one of Bristol's legendary underground spaces - Cosies. Dan and I took on the task of designing a poster for the night, which was covering all things disco, house and electro.

After some thought, we decided it'd be quite fun to go for a tongue-in-cheek approach by creating a marvel-comic-book-superhero inspired look to go with the outlandish title of the night. I sketched up a character in this style - taking classic elements from super hero poses and combining them to form the "Supersmash" heroine. We had also decided to produced a small run of screen-prints to give away to early arrivals, on the night. This limited our colours to two and with one being a punchy black, I introduced some half-toning to give the figure extra depth, with the orange colour picking out clothing and other elements across the design.

I then passed this illustration over to Dan who worked on the text, layout and background "burst".

We then spent an evening screen-printing the finished design out.