Portfolio Contact Blog Shop
dave@davebain.com

23 June 2014

BOING - the new sound of screen-printing apparently




We had an open day for our Drawn in Bristol studios recently. Situated inside Hamilton House, Stokes Croft, our studio swung open its doors to the general public for a nosey around. Jenny organised a pop-up shop area, Kieron a pop-up cafe and I ran a screen-printing demo. You can read more about the open day over on the Drawn in Bristol blog.

For my demo, I used a new image, loosely taking the idea of "opening something up" as inspiration (excuse, perhaps!) to create a Jack in the box print.


After sketching out some thumbnails in my sketchbook, I then developed these into an A3 drawing, complete with the word "BOING" stretched out to form a background. I used three different colouring pencils to figure out how to separate the layers for a two-colour screen-print. The purple colour showed where the blue and red would overlap, making tracing out the layers an easy job.


In preparation, I screen-printed the first layer in three different colours (20 of each colour) and during the Open Day guided visitors through printing the second layer on top, with each visitor taking away the result of their efforts.

Printing the first layer

Various colour combinations

Resulting prints on the rack